Library Reopening Information
The New Braunfels Public Library will be welcoming back patrons in the building beginning Monday, June 1.
The library will be reopening under limited hours: from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. The library will be closed on Sundays.
Additionally, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday through Friday—before the library is open to the general public—will be a dedicated time for seniors and at-risk individuals to browse the library.
“We are reopening cautiously and keeping the health of our staff and patrons in mind,” said Library Director Gretchen Pruett. “We know our patrons have missed coming in to browse for their own materials, but we also know how much they love our library and our staff—so we’re counting on them to help us stay healthy by following our recommendations.
“We want our patrons to come in, find their materials, check them out and enjoy them at home—this is what we’re calling ‘Explore Express.’”
Library visitors will notice several changes inside the building intended to protect the health of library patrons and library staff:
- Face coverings are highly encouraged, and face masks and gloves will be available for patrons
- No public seating will be available
- Floor markings to encourage social distancing in line
- Self-checkout stations will be relocated to the Reference Desk in the center of the library
- Computers will be available by appointment only
- A limited number of staff members will be on the floor
- No faxing or scanning services at this time
- Virtual programming will continue; there will be no in-person programming through the summer
- Cash payments will not be accepted, and first 50 pages of prints are free
- Study rooms, the meeting room, and the conference room will be for staff use only
The library’s curbside pickup program for holds (books, audiobooks and movies) and prints (which can be sent to the library from anywhere—just ask staff how) will still be available during the library’s opening hours.
There will be some changes to the pickup procedure:
- When patrons enter the library parking, they should come to the book-drop side of the building
- Patrons should park in one of the four parking spots designated for curbside pickup
- Patrons should call 830-221-4300 or text 830-253-4804 to let library staff know their parking spot
- Library staff will check out the materials and bring them to your car
The Westside Community Center and Library are planning to reopen on June 15 due to some major facility refurbishing projects.